ASHISH K. SAHAI, M.D., FAAOS +
Founder of Spine & Orthopedic Center, Dr. Ashish Sahai, a world leading spine surgeon, is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in spinal surgery practicing in both Broward and Palm Beach county. In recent years, Dr, Sahai has captured the attention of the entire medical field through his contributions with improved spine surgery techniques.
Dr. Ashish K. Sahai’s formative training began with the completion of his high school requirements in 2 years and at the age of 15, went on to study dual baccalaureate degrees in Biomedical Engineering and Pre-Medicine at the University of Iowa. He completed this course-load, one that typically takes 5 years, in 3 years’ time. He went on to the University of Iowa College of Medicine for the completion of his Medical Degree. He then completed his Orthopedic Surgery Residency at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, MA where he also served as a chief resident at the New England Baptist Hospital, a renowned hospital for Orthopedic Surgery and the home of the Aufranc total joint fellowship.
Dr. Sahai went on to complete a spine fellowship at the Stanford Combined Spine Fellowship, staying on a year extra to become a Clinical Assistant Professor and providing coverage for the VA Medical Center Palo Alto, on the largest VA’s in the West Coast. While there, he traveled all over the United States learning the advanced principles of minimally-invasive surgery, lateral surgery, scoliosis surgery and revision spinal surgical procedures. Due to the aforementioned background and training, he is one of the few spinal surgeons able to perform a wide-range of spinal procedures ranging from outpatient surgery to complex revision and scoliosis surgery. His expertise in minimally-invasive surgery and minimally-invasive solutions for spinal surgery, has led him to be an invited speaker and present at conferences both nationally and internationally including; prior Symposiums in China, Brazil and Japan.
His vast spine surgery experience coupled with his foundational training in biomedical engineering has led him to develop many new surgical techniques, spinal fusion implants & instrumentation. He now holds several patents in the field of spinal surgery including the design of expandable cages. As a result of this, he was chosen by the University of Iowa Biomedical Engineering Department Dean’s Award for Early Career Achievement.
Dr. Sahai believes in sharing the insight and lessons he has developed, over many years, and is sought out by surgeons from both the United States and internationally to learn advanced techniques, observing in his OR on a regular basis.
SOC is fully equipped for diagnosing and treating severely debilitating spinal problems, including a high-field MRI, digital X-ray and fluoro technology, a sedation procedure suite, and an onsite laboratory. This allows Dr. Sahai and his team to successfully handle almost any type of spinal condition and treat it accordingly. Due to the sedation being offered in the office, procedures such as kyphoplasty (cement) for compression fractures, radiofrequency ablation (RFA) for neck and back pain as well as epidurals can now be performed on a comfortable, immediate and outpatient basis.
In 2008, he started the Spine and Orthopedic Center (SOC) when he moved to Florida and was recruited to the area by local hospitals to build their expertise in spinal care. SOC has now grown to 5 locations spanning Palm Beach and Broward County with over 8 surgeons and physicians who provide comprehensive spinal, orthopedic and pain management care. As it continues to grow, SOC maintains that expertise belongs in the hands of their surgeons and physicians to have the tools to provide the most advanced care for their patients. For that reason, SOC has invested in some of the latest technology in their offices rarely seen outside hospital groups which includes digital X-ray, PACS, MRI (including the advanced ability for MRI to “see” past hardware). SOC continues to recruit some of the best and brightest surgeons and physicians from top training institutions across the country.
- Stanford University
- Saint Mary’s Hospital Center
Orthopedic Surgery Residency
- Tufts University Orthopedic Surgery Residency
- Iowa Methodist Medical Center
- University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA
- University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
Previous Practice Opportunities
- Staff Surgeon, VA Palo Alto
- Clinical Instructor, Stanford University Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Florida Orthopedic Society
- Chairman of Surgery at West Boca Medical Center
- Broward Health North
- Boca Raton Regional Hospital
- NorthWest Medical Center
- Broward Health Coral Springs
- Broward Health Medical Center
- Parkcreek Surgery Center
- University Hospital & Medical Center
- Westside Medical Center
- Boca Raton Outpatient Surgery & Laser Center
- Castle Connolly Top Orthopaedic Surgeon 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 – The nomination is decided among specialists in the field. Castle Connolly is the most trusted source of physicians information in the nation.
- University of Iowa Department of Biomedical Engineering Dean’s Award for Early Career Achievement.
- Becker’s “30 Spine Surgeon Influencers – Becker’s Spine Review is brought by Becker’s Healthcare which is the leading source of business and legal information for healthcare industry leaders.
- 2018 Doctor of the Year
2018 award for exemplary caring doctor by West Boca Medical Center.
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition
2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 recognition by Vitals.com.
- Patient’s Choice Award
2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018 choice award by Vitals.com.
- Patient’s Choice 5th Anniversary Award
2012, 2013 by Vitals.com.
- Healthgrades Honor Roll
Award given by Healthgrades.com for outstanding physicians.
- “Collaborative Effort on MySpine between Japanese and US Surgeons”, Tokyo, Japan – Dec 2019
- Spinal Elements Advanced MSI Course – Lecture and cadaver lab format for the OmegaLIF procedure
- Spinal Solutions – Modern Solutions for the Aging Spine
- Amendia Spinal Degenerative Disorders & Management Course
- 17th Brazilian Congress of Spinal Surgery Scientific Program
- 11th International Congress of Chinese Orthopedic Association COA2016
- Liverpool 2015 and Berlin 2016 Euro Spine Congress
- IV and V Brazilian Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery & Techniques
- 2015 Spine IEP Fellows & Young Surgeons Course
FAQ About Your Surgeon
Dr. Sahai please tell us a little about yourself
I was born and raised in Webster City, a rural town in central Iowa. I also attended the local high school. I went to the University of Iowa for undergrad, where I completed a Biomedical Engineering degree. Medical school was also at the University of Iowa so I am most definitely a Hawkeye. I pursued an orthopedic residency at Tufts Medical Center. I subsequently sought advanced fellowship training in spine surgery at Stanford University where I stayed for another year in a teaching capacity.
Why did you move to South Florida?
My wife grew up locally in Coral Springs and wanted to return. My motto on life is “Happy wife, happy life” so here we are. We met when I was on a rotation at the University of Miami as a medical student and she was an undergraduate student at the University of Florida (I know she’s a Gator but I married her anyway).
Why did you choose to become a spine surgeon?
I want to improve the quality of life for people who suffer from acute to chronic back problems. I want to provide high quality genuine care which is research based and has predictable options of treatment. I was interested in the anatomy of the brain and spine even as a medical student. After I chose orthopedic surgery, a spine specialty seemed a natural progression. Treating the spine both operatively and non-operatively is difficult but a challenge I look forward to because the difference it makes in a person’s life. They become free of pain and enjoy life the way it was meant to be enjoyed.
What do you enjoy doing outside of work Dr. Sahai?
I enjoy most sports activities especially skiing/snowboarding. I also picked up surfing a little while in California. I enjoy music as well — I have played the piano for 14 years but lately it has been more sporadic in nature. I previously had a pilot’s license but unfortunately it expired during my training as I did not have the time to maintain it. I travel as much as possible to different places. I have traveled throughout most of Europe, and parts of Asia so far. Most recently, I was in Australia and New Zealand. It’s always interesting to learn about different cultures.