It is super important when looking for a hip specialist to find a board-certified one in your area. You should also research the type of hip pain you are experiencing. The best way to find a doctor is by word of mouth. Ask around for a recommendation for a doctor that treats hip pain. 

What to Look For in a Doctor that Treats Hip Pain

There are three main things you want to look for in a doctor that treats hip pain such as:

  1. First, look for a doctor that is a board-certified physician. Therefore, they will have formal training. During this training, they learn about musculoskeletal issues. After completing their education, an orthopedist will take their board certification exam. So, make sure yours is certified!
  2. Then, check with your insurance company. It’s a good idea to see doctors covered under your insurance plan. Or, if you are OK to self-pay, skip this step.
  3. Next, you should find a doctor that specializes in a specific area of concern. An orthopedist usually works on diagnosing and preventing injuries to the hip. Therefore, finding an experienced orthopedic is crucial.

While you are looking for a doctor, also look-up common reasons for hip pain and treatments. The more information you know, the better you are.

Questions for The Doctor

When you go to the first appointment, you want to bring your medical history and any medications you are currently taking. You should also put together a list of questions for the doctor.

There are some questions you want to ask, such as:

  • How often do you treat patients with hip pain?
  • What do you think is the cause of my pain?
  • Will I need any tests performed?
  • What are the options for treatment?
  • Will I need physical therapy?
  • How can I manage pain while I am at home?
  • Will I need surgery?
  • Are there risks associated with the surgery?
  • Will I need to stay in the hospital?
  • What is the recovery process?

You may have other questions about your hip pain. Therefore, you should talk to the doctor about all of the treatment options. You should always feel safe and that you trust the orthopedist.

If you are searching for a board-certified doctor that treats hip pain, call us at 888-409-8006.