Helpful Tips for Creating a Healthier Workplace
Mind the following creating a healthier workplace and avoid lasting, negative health repercussions:
1. Find the Right Chair: You want a chair with back/lumbar support. Also, keep in mind, you’d like a chair that will keep you forthright at your keyboard and will help reduce slouching or leaning to one side or the other. Posture is key to a healthy spine.
2. Consider Building a Standing Work Station: These portable workstations that you can build on your own, or buy at the store, are becoming all the rage. Studies show that sitting down for six hours a day or more can cause adverse effects on the legs, spine, and even the blood flow of the lower body. Standing for large portions of time at work will help burn more calories than sitting and will help avoid adverse health effects.
3. Breathe, Stretch, and Shake it Out: Try to periodically get up from your desk. For example, take a lap around the office, and do some light stretching. Sitting sedentary all day can be bad for the human body and mind.
4. Lunch Break Workout: If you have the time, try to sneak in a quick workout during your lunch break! You will come back to work with the juices flowing and positive energy and mindset, ready to tackle the afternoon.
5. Avoid Excessive Leg Crossing: For many of us, it can be hard to sit still in one position throughout the day. If you can, try and avoid crossing your legs and sitting in an awkward spot for too long. Sitting upright, with a computer at eye level and feet flat on the ground, is most ideal.
Learn more on creating a healthier workspace here.
While there are other ways you can create healthy habits at work, these tips are a great way to start! Not only will each of these pointers help you avoid back and neck pain, but they’ll have you feeling happier and healthier over time as well.
Please contact the Spine & Orthopedic Center today for a consultation if you are encountering back pain. Call us at 888-409-8006 for more information, or schedule a visit online now.
Leave A Comment