Aging is inevitable, but it is just a number. How you feel is what matters most. If you feel good, your age is not a huge factor. In fact, if your overall health is well as your aging, then you are in a good place!
Genes do play a role in how you age well, though. But, that is not the only factor. Some secrets can help you. No matter what is going on, these tips can give you control. You can be in charge of just how well you age.
Tip #1: Exercise More to Age Well
Exercise is beneficial for all health concerns. Exercise can improve overall health and quality of life. It can also reduce disease risks to improve longevity. Some of the top benefits of regular exercise include the following:
- Lower blood pressure.
- Healthier blood sugar levels.
- Lower risk for heart disease.
- Reduced depression.
- Better sleep.
- Sharper cognitive function.
You only need 30 minutes of exercise a day. Moderate aerobic activities are best. Walking, cycling, swimming, or elliptical machines are all great.
Tip #2: Stop Fad Dieting
Yo-yoing with your weight is very common as you age. You lose weight, then gain it back. Then lose weight again. Fad diets are common problems. This ‘weight cycling is unhealthy and should be avoided. Don’t diet. Try mindful eating instead. Think about what you are eating. Make healthy choices and plan your meals. You should also do other things, such as:
- Talk to your doctor about specific requirements. If you need to reduce sodium or cholesterol, this is important.
- Reduce hunger by eating vegetables, proteins, and healthy grains.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Don’t deny your favorite foods. Just eat them in moderation. Avoiding them will lead to cravings and the risk of overeating.
- Cut back on alcohol. It causes dehydration and an increased risk of diseases.
- Tip #3: Go Mediterranean
Healthy food choices are simple with a Mediterranean diet. It is a way of eating more than it is a diet. In fact, you get healthy fats and proteins and fresh fruit and veggies. Therefore, leaving your body without processed foods or unhealthy fats. Mediterranean plans are linked to a healthier heart and brain. Plus, you also benefit from reduced inflammation and age-related conditions.
Tip #4: Stay Sharp
Your brain naturally slows with age. Forgetfulness becomes common. But, you can do things to protect your memory, such as:
- Stay engaged and learn new hobbies or skills.
- Save mental energy for big tasks. Calendars can help with organization and remembering small things.
- Stop smoking which can increase the risk of dementia.
Tip #5: Get Outside to Age Well
Getting some sun helps boost vitamin D production. When vitamin D levels are low, your health is at risk. Osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, and metabolic syndrome can develop. Getting fresh air and sun boosts health and mood. Endorphins are produced which make you feel good. So getting some sun every day will help you age well. But be careful not to get too much sun, and wear sunscreen!
Tip #6: Stay Connected
Humans are social by nature. So do not isolate yourself. Being alone can lead to depression and inactivity. Loneliness is linked to poor health so maintain social connections. Join a new class or club, volunteer, and reach out to old friends. Connections both new and old will boost your health. Therefore, keeping you feeling young and age well.