What is Text Neck?
Do you get pain and stiffness in your neck? And do you also frequently use mobile devices? Well, the pain you’re experiencing could be from text neck. And this pain is caused by the overuse of tablets, smartphones, and other handheld devices. Looking down at the screen causes poor posture.
However, treating text neck involves two approaches for pain relief, such as:
- Increasing neck strength and flexibility. Ans stretching and exercises can accomplish this.
- Improving postural habits
Exercises and Stretches to Reduce Neck Pain
Text neck is linked to forward head posture. Therefore, causing muscle imbalances to development, such as:
- Elongation of the deep cervical flexor muscles (front of the neck)
- Shortening of the muscles at the back of the neck
- Elongation of upper back muscles
- Shortening of the chest muscles
The right exercises can help alleviate the pain caused by this. You can also reduce forward posture. However, muscle imbalances are reversible. With consistency, you can restore a naturally-aligned posture. And common exercise programs include:
Physical therapy: A physical therapist will develop a program to meet your needs. They will teach you specific stretching and strengthening that will alleviate your pain. Ans these exercises will also correct your posture! Although usually done at a clinic, however, after time, you can continue the program at home. The therapist will ensure you learn the safe ways to perform the exercises.
Home exercises: Although exercises are best with a physical therapist, some you can do at home. Therefore, Improving neck flexibility and strength. Additionally, you will reduce forward head posture. However, for effective results, you will need to be committed to these exercises. And this is especially true when working in a home setting.
Studies also show that kids can develop a healthier posture in school. Physical education programs can also help reduce forward head posture. Specific exercises can correct muscle imbalances. And when enrolled in these programs, the neck and shoulder posture is both improvable.
Adjustments to Prevent Text Neck Pain
There are also adjustments you can make to your life to treat text neck. In addition to stretching and strengthening your posture, these can help reduce pain.
- Raise the phone. Keep your phone or device at eye level. Therefore, preventing your head from tilting forward.
- Take breaks. Getting away from your phone or device is important. And you may find an alarm to be helpful. Furthermore, setting reminders to take breaks will give you adequate rest.
- Stand up straight. Good posture applies when standing and sitting. Keep your chin tucked in and shoulders back. Therefore, keeping your body aligned in a neutral position.
- Stretch and arch. When you arch your back and neck, you can relieve muscle pain.
- Exercise. Studies suggest that the stronger and more flexible your back is, the better it can handle stress. Therefore, you should be exercising regularly to keep your back muscles strengthened. Low endurance sports are proven to lead to less muscle and neck pain.
Keeping your neck and body active is best for your spine. And spending too much time hunched over is harmful to the spine and posture. Schedule regular breaks in your day. Additionally, schedule specific times that you use your devices. Rather than checking them all through the day. Therefore, this will give your posture a chance to correct itself.
Exercises like yoga and pilates are great for correcting posture. They also reduce neck and back pain. When exercising it stretches the body, therefore, increasing posture awareness. Plus, better able to withstand stress. As part of a routine, stretching and exercising reduces text neck.
If you are experiencing neck pain and are looking for a top neck/ back pain specialist in Boca Raton, call us at 888-409-8006. Offices conveniently located throughout South Florida. Including, Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Coral Springs & Plantation.